Being a new parent is a wonderful thing but many new parents are not quite prepared for how much work it takes to care for a baby.One of the most challenging times is when a baby starts crawling, walking, and wanting to explore everything in sight. It’s especially worrisome since that adorable bundle of joy could easily get hurt or even worse. Especially in homes with stairs. Busy parents don’t have the option of following their toddler around all day, so the best option is a baby gate. Baby gates can keep children safe by being an effective barricade while Mom (or Mister Mom) takes care of her many other duties. It’s also useful for keeping them out of any place where they could hurt themselves. So, to that end, here are reviews of the six best retractable baby gate available today.
3 BEST RETRACTABLE BABY GATE 2020
1. Mesh Retractable Gate for Babies from PRObebi/ Safety Baby Gate for Indoors and Outdoors, Stairs, Doorways, Decks, and Banisters
This baby gate is extra-wide and that means no more worrying about your baby falling down the stairs or getting into anything unhealthy or even dangerous.
The mesh liner can also be rolled up to save you space. Locking and releasing this gate requires only one hand. Making it easy for protecting your baby. The high-density 13mm thickness is excellent for ensuring the gate’s waterproof function.
This retractable gate can be locked and unlocked easily by simply pressing and twisting. And, the PRObebi corner bumpers have been manufactured using non-toxic, environmentally friendly, soft premium fire-retardant rubber that has passed SGS quality inspection.
This best retractable baby gate weighs only 4.35 pounds and is white. It’s exceptionally durable and of good quality, including the gate attachments and retraction mechanism.
It’s also easy to install and includes special templates for the screw holes. It serves its purpose well and is quite easy to operate.
This is the perfect member of the best child safety gates for keeping toddlers in (or out) of a particular room and, when open, it’s quite unobtrusive.
- This best retractable baby gate offers a handy advanced retractable design.
- It also offers easy and convenient one-hand operation.
- It delivers 300-degree directional capability.
- It ‘s also a baby gate that comes with a two-year guarantee.
- The company has a fast and easy return policy.
- This is not the best for tall baseboards.
- The installation directions are difficult for some buyers to follow.
- The hooks on this gate don’t always work, even when installed according to the directions.
- As per the box, this product is for use at the bottom of the stairs only.
2. Safety Baby Gate with Auto Close Features，Extra Tall and Wide Heavy-Duty Child Gate with Easy Walk-Thru Gate for the Home, Stairs, Hallways, and Doorways
This offering from the best child safety gates is 29.52 and expands to 32.28 inches wide and is 30.5 inches high.
It’s suitable for widths of 29.5 to 40.5 inches. It’s easy to set up and use with its pressure mount design an is also adjustable with its extension kit.
Which is six-inches wide, and the handy four spindle rods that are pressure-mounted, making it perfect for doorways, hallways, and use at the bottom of the stairs.
This gate can be quickly removed from the opening for ease-of-storage and additional extensions are also sold separately.
Also, the all-steel design makes this one of the best baby gates for stairs because it’s not only durable but also convenient with its walk-through door. And, for extra safety.
It includes several special safety-lock features and mounting hardware, as well as wall-cups (four) that provide added security.
It’s the perfect best top of stairs baby gate for children of the ages 6 to 24 months. For stairs with round pillars, U-shaped screws (sold separately) are also available and can help with the easier installation of the gate on stairs.
The solid construction, easy installation, and choice of mounts make this an excellent choice for any family.
- This child safety gate is adjustable.
- It’s also easy to set up.
- This gate offers durability and convenience.
- It also offers the utmost in safety.
- Certified to both ASTM and JPMA standards.
- This baby gate requires two people for proper installation.
- It can be difficult to lift the handle for getting in and out.
- The gate’s not suitable for 38-inch applications.
3. West End Safety Gate by Summer Infant® with Hold-Open and Auto-Close, (36″ to 60″ Wide and 30″ Tall)
This extra-wide baby gate is a combination of slate grey metal and honey oak and is designed for both wider doorways and stairways.
Gate’s door features auto-close, which will gently close it behind you. Besides, the special hold-open feature is quite handy for keeping the door open when necessary.
This choice of the best retractable baby gate for stairs also offers door stoppers that are built-in and an integrated handle.
This design was inspired by current trends in home decor that are quite traditional and its metal frame and wood door provide an excellent accent for all styles of homes.
It’s also perfect for an open floor plan or a wide space and fits openings from 36 inches to 60 inches in width when you use the included extension frames. And, the wider door measures 27 inches, which is bigger than most gate openings and allows for much easier walk-through.
It also offers installation options that include a no-drill doorway mount and an included kit for stairway installation.
All of these options make this an excellent choice for keeping your baby safe and also offering convenience for you and the other adults and older children in your home.
- It’s designed for extra-wide openings.
- It comes with three extensions for more convenience and wider openings.
- This gate looks great and is also quite easy to install.
- The “walk through” area of this baby gate measures 25.5 inches wide and the entire gate only weighs 19 pounds.
- This gate Includes three extension-frames and they come in four-inch, seven-inch, and ten-inch sizes.
- Gate typically requires two hands when closing it.
- It may not be the optimum choice for any 60-inch opening.
- Some parents found this baby gate to be a bit more stylish than it is sturdy.
4. Cumbor 43.3-inch Auto-Close Safety Baby Gate, Extra-Wide and Tall Child Gate, Easy Walk-Thru
This extra-wide baby gate from Cumbor offers best-in-class durability for your home, doorways, or stairs and includes four wall-cups and two extensions.
The extensions measure 8.25-inches and 2.75-inches, making this baby gate work well for the majority of doors and at the top of the stairs as well.
The large walk-thru is 23.6-inches wide, making it much easier to walk through when you’re holding your baby. That’s why this is an excellent choice for moms while also being safer for babies.
The double-lock safety-release makes it hard for toddlers from 6 to 36 months to manage to open the gate, so essentially it babysits your baby.
It’s great for families with kids and pets and the steel design can withstand impacts of up to 210-pounds. If you’re looking for a gate that is convenient as well as exceptionally safe, this could be the perfect choice for you.
Its durability and width could swing your decision right in this baby gate’s direction. In addition, many safety gates are only functional for the bottom of a stairway, whereas this one works for both.
- Easy to install and for protecting your walls.
- This type of baby gate can be set up in just ten minutes.
- You don’t have to worry if you forget to lock this gate because it closes automatically based on gravity.
- The pressure mounts can be adjusted to create a secure fit and give you a new comfort level.
- This gate is not suitable for openings that measure from 35-inches to 37.8-inches.
- It doesn’t work properly with some baseboard moldings.
5. Baby Gates for Stairs and Doorways from Lemon Tree- Indoor Safety Gate for Kids (or Pets), Extra-Wide, Walk-Through Tall Metal Gate with Auto-Close and Pressure Mount
This is a high-quality baby gate that offers a customizable width for fitting openings from 30-inches to 40.2-inches in width as well as being 30- inches high.
Also, extensions are available to increase the overall width to 51.5-inches. The walk-through opening is equipped with a dual-locking safety handle.
It’s easy for adults to open but difficult for kids and has been certified to CPC and CPST standards. It’s made of sturdy steel for extra durability and strength as well as being self-closing thanks to a special type of hinge.
It’s exceptionally easy to install with no need for punching any holes in your wall. No tools are needed because it’s pressure mounted. If you’re looking for a baby safety gate that is both tall and offers customizable width, this is a perfect choice.
Also, the pressure-mounting offers easier installation than many other types of baby gates. This gate’s exceptional durability and industry safety certifications could make it your best choice for your baby’s continued safety as well as your convenience.
- This awesome baby gate is made of thicker steel that’s guaranteed to last five years.
- The self-closing feature will make you feel more comfortable about your baby’s safety.
- The Dual Locking System prevents a baby from opening the gate.
- This gate’s overall design should look good in any home.
- It only weighs 13.8 pounds.
- It needs a wider extension.
- It’s also not big enough for some stairways.
6. Babepai Extra Wide Retractable Baby Gate
This extra-wide baby gate from Babepai is grey with fabric and mesh. It’s 52-inches wide, extends to 54-inches, and is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
It’s a good choice for keeping small children away from certain areas of the home that are off-limits to them as well as away from stairs that can be very dangerous, giving parents peace-of-mind.
It offers a retractable and locking design with a safer double-locking mechanism and also comes with a complete set of components for easy installation.
This gate measures 34-inches tall and when not in use, the gate’s mesh lining can be quickly rolled up and put away.
This is a home safety solution that’s versatile for saving you space in your home and time out of your busy schedule.
And, extra mounting kits are available for relocating the baby gate anywhere in your home. This safety gate’s many features and its lightweight fabric construction could mean that it’s your optimum choice for ensuring your little one’s safety.
- Its only gate which weighs an amazing 3.99 pounds.
- This retractable baby gate comes complete with two sets of installation hardware.
- It’s perfect for indoor and outdoor uses, doorways, hallways, patios, and stairways.
- This is a gate that’s easy to use and offers a convenient safety latch.
- This gate doesn’t work well for small dogs as they can go under it.
- The parts do not include drywall anchors.
THE BUYING GUIDE
There are numerous types and styles of baby gates available on the market today and each one meets a variety of requirements.
This means that you should easily be able to locate one that suits your needs. For example, you could be looking for an extra-wide best retractable baby gate that is pressure-mounted and includes a cat door.
On the other hand, you could have a preference for a hardware-mounted gate with no step-over bar for using at the top of the stairs. Here are a few of the most common types:
TYPES OF BABY GATES
- Baby gates with kitty-cat doors: If your home has pets, you might want to purchase a baby safety gate with a cat door. That way, your furry baby can get through while you’re keeping your little one safe.
- Extra-wide gates: If you have extra-wide hallways or doorways, then extra-wide baby gates are a perfect choice. Some designs also offer special available add-ons for providing safety coverage for wider widths as well.
- Freestanding baby gates: These are handy if you’re a parent who wants to move the baby gate around. This type of gate stands on its own but won’t work on stairs or after your baby has become clever and strong enough to simply move it out of his or her way.
- Gates for Stairs: The best baby gates for use at the top of a stairway are specifically designed for stairs. They typically don’t have a step-over rail, which can be a tripping hazard. They are also designed to consider banisters. These particular designs also usually come with door stoppers to keep the door from swinging outward over the stairs. Besides, they are hardware-mounted for maximum safety.
- Gates with Doors: This type of baby gate is fairly common, as well as being more convenient since you don’t have to step over the gate but simply open the gate latch and walk right through. Many of these designs have a door that can swing both ways. Others have a feature that keeps the door open for when you have to be walking in and out numerous times.
BABY LOVES THIS GATE VERY MUCH
- Hardware-mounted: These baby gates include doorway-mounted and wall-mounted styles, which are perfect for both the top or the bottom of stairs because they are screwed into the wall, making them more secure than a pressure-mounted baby gate. They can, however, leave marks on the wall while also requiring some extra work for installing.
- Pressure-mounted: These gates are tension-fitted between two walls and the outward pressure keeps them in place. They can be the top option for a doorway when you don’t want any marks on your wall. They can prove to be less secure, however, so avoiding their use on stairs is best.
- Retractable baby gates: These are often roll-out mesh gates designed for baby safety and are an excellent option.
- Step-over gates: These gates are a good option when your baby is still small and unable to climb over yet. These are hands-free gates that don’t need to be locked. You may, however, find it to be a bit annoying when you must step over the gate when you’re going in and out.
- Tall safety gates: It’s often a good idea to buy a gate with extra height for using at the top of a stairway, or even for when your baby gets big enough to climb over a shorter gate.
HOW TO MEASURE FOR A BEST BABY SAFETY GATE
Proper measuring is crucial when it comes to ensuring your baby’s ultimate safety. Start by measuring the width of any opening where your baby gate will be located.
If it’s a staircase, be sure to measure both the bottom and the top of the stairs. If you’re installing it in a doorway, measure between your walls and the baseboards to ensure a perfect fit.
In addition, pressure-mounted baby gates are specially designed for fitting all staircases and doorways.
BENEFITS OF BUYING ONE OF THESE BEST BABY GATES
A baby safety gate can help close off sections of your home, keeping your little one out of harm’s way. For example, you could put one in your kitchen, or a doorway to the garage, laundry room, or at the top or bottom of the stairs. Baby gates also give you the ability to close off any room while still leaving the door open.
Some parents are also recommending installing one of the available best retractable baby gates before when your baby starts crawling. Since babies are quick to develop, it could be an even better idea to set up a baby gate even earlier, like when your baby begins sitting or rolling over on his or her own.
Depending on your home’s overall design and square footage, you might find it necessary to purchase multiple baby gates. In some cases, one just isn’t enough. For example, if your home has stairs, you could need a gate at the bottom and the top, as well as one for barricading your kitchen and another for the hallway.
The bottom line is that baby safety gates are not just a convenience. Their biggest benefit is the prevention of serious injuries to your little one that could occur anywhere in the home.
Q: What should I consider when buying a baby safety gate?
A: You should consider whether it’s safe, where you’ll be putting it, which locking mechanism will be right for both you and your baby, what width, design, and the material will work best for you, whether you have a pet, and whether your toddler can climb over the gate.
Q: Where can I find additional information about the safety of a particular baby gate or other product?
A: Before purchasing any baby products, checking for safety information is a good idea. Everything you choose should pass the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) standards.
You can call them at 1-800-638-2772 or check their website to ensure a product’s ultimate safety. You should also consider checking the CPSC website periodically to get an updated list of recalls.
When your baby begins to explore the world, it’s the best time to buy some safety gates. Hopefully, these six recommendations will help you decide between the many baby safety gate types available today, like the best retractable baby gate, the best freestanding baby gate, and the best baby gates for stairs with banisters, depending on your individual needs.
Our recommendations also take into account the size of the space where the gate will be installed, as well as your baby’s size and age.
As a final note, be sure to check any baby equipment regularly, especially your baby safety gate(s), for possible peeling paint or lose parts, as well as any rough and/or sharps edges that could hurt your little one.