Do you want to make your home baby-proof? Frankly, who doesn’t wish it? Every parent eagerly waits for the day when their little baby will crawl or then walk around the home. But it is a matter of concern when the baby walks in the stairs or goes out through the exterior door.
You need to block some home areas, which can be dangerous for the baby. The baby gate is the ideal way to block the areas. A baby gate can easily purchase using online markets, but it is confusing how to make proper usage. Read further to know how to use a baby gate? Of course, these ideas will ensure your baby’s safety.
Picking the best baby gate
While your baby starts exploring the world, you need to take proper steps for the baby’s safety. Usually, baby gates are placed on the stairs or other risky areas. Baby gates are available in plastic, wood, or metal form. You will find various varieties of baby gates in the market. The most popular three types are:
1. Pressure mounted baby gate: The most popular type is the pressure-mounted baby gate. It can set easily in a door frame or between two walls, and you don’t need any additional hardware for installing. As there is no need for drilling, you can move the baby gate conveniently from one place to another. The Safety first baby gate is a well-known brand in this category.
2. Hardware-mounted baby gate: If you want more strong security for your baby, then you can choose the hardware-mounted baby gate. To install the gate, it needs to drill to attach screws or brackets. You can pick this baby gate for the top of the stairs that will add extra security and prevent bluffy falls. But this is not an ideal choice if you live in a rented house.
3. Retractable baby gate: The retractable baby gate is equipped with mesh material. Baby gates for stairs retractable are used for temporary safety and cover small spaces. This type is really convenient to use and move around.
How to use the baby gate?
There are several areas in your house where you need a baby gate to confirm proper safety. So here are the recommended areas where you can use the baby gate:
1. Top of the stairs: The top of the stairs is considered the most hazardous place for the children. If there is no barrier, there is a high chance of getting injured for children. Here you need to place a baby gate. The hardware-mounted gate is the best for top stairs as it provides superior protection. So it will withstand the baby aggressively trying to push the door.
2. Bottom of stairs: A baby gate is important for baby care on top or bottom stairs. You also need a bottom of the stairs baby gate so that your baby can not climb the stairs. For bottom stairs, you can put a pressure-mounted baby gate.
3. Kitchen: The kitchen is a risky area for the children because there are many dangerous things for children like oven, stoves, knife, hot food, glass dishes, and slippery floor. When you are not in the kitchen, children may go there and happen something unwanted. So it would be better if you block it with a baby gate.
4. Porch: If your living room extends to the outdoor, then you must install a baby gate at the porch steps. It allows your baby to explore the sun, rain, and wind happily without stepping outside. It will remain safe for your baby inside the railing’s confines.
5. Other areas: There are various other spots where you need to set a baby gate. For example, many houses have an office or library, so it would be best to keep away the children by setting a baby gate. Moreover, you can use the baby gate for denying access to many large items like a TV or electrical gadgets.
Things to consider before installing
Baby and toddlers are always curious to know everything. So you should care about it and consider these matters before installing; for example: don’t put the baby gate too high off the ground. Many make this mistake and leave a large gap. Later the baby crawls under the gap and able to take steps into the area so careful about it.
Buy a baby gate that is long enough so that it can be out of the reach for a baby. Sometimes baby climbs on the gate if the height is low.
How to install a baby gate on stairs?
If your home has stairs inside, you must install a baby gate on the stairs. According to the type and style, the installing process is varied. In case you are setting a pressure-mounted baby gate, then follow the steps:
- First, measure the gate size or opening where you want to fit the gate. Then purchase the gate according to the measurement.
- The pressure-mounted gate is very easy to install. You can fit the baby gates for stairs without drilling. You will find small cups with bolts on each side of the baby gate that meet with the walls. Now extend the gate to install between two walls. Now, spin the bolts to snap the cups with the door frame or wall. Fit the gate as there is no gap between the wall and the door handle. Different models have different mounting techniques. So read the attached manual for ensuring.
- Every pressure-mounted baby gate has a pressure bar to lock the gate in place. Make sure the pressure bar will always be located on the upper side of the gate so that children cannot reach it.
- Now check the door by repeatedly opening or closing. As the door needs to frequently open and close so make sure it works smoothly.
When you are using a hardware-mounted baby gate, then you need a drilling machine to attach the screws and bolts. Otherwise, the installing process is pretty similar to the pressure-mounted baby gate.