What’s the best time for using a baby gate? As our beloved babies grow up fast & start exploring their surroundings on their own self, that’s when it’s the right time to use a baby gate to prevent any unwanted injury.
Baby gates prevent our child from taking a tumble down the stairs & restrain some areas like a kitchen that is not a safe place for them.
Suppose you are doing the laundry or dishes for a couple of minutes while you’re curious baby went to explore new things & some unwanted outcome happens. What will you do then?
The best way is to use a Baby Shield or Gate, but what materials are right to use as a baby gate? This article will tell you the importance & how to make an ideal baby gate, what you can use that works as a baby gate & a lot more. Stay together to find out!
Safety Measurement For Baby Gate
The sole purpose of a baby gate is to ensure safety for our kids. When choosing a baby gate, we have to make sure some standard requirements are met first. For example –
- Width of the Opening: The direction of where the baby gate will go, measure the top & bottom of the stairs if it’s a staircase. In the case of a doorway, measure between the skirting boards & walls for a perfect fit.
- How to Fix/Attach the Gate: On Pressure, baby gates fit all staircases & doorways, ideal for occasional or rental use. Those gates fit well with a strong door frame or fence to support the gate.There are two types of pressure-fit baby gates available.
• U-shaped frame called U-Pressure fit and have a wide walkthrough section. Ideal for everyday use. Gate extensions are helpful to fit more expansive spaces.
• Safety barriers are another type ideal for occasional use & don’t have a walkthrough section.
For long-term usage, a fixed wall gate is recommended for the top of staircases. Make holes into the walls & screw to fit the entrance to the walls. You wouldn’t need extensions as the gates have two extendable panels.
- Choose how to open & close your baby gate: Among many different options, some standard options are given below –
- 3 Action opening for curious babies while traditional gates require only two actions.
- Some gates swing open in both directions.
- Open the gate with one hand of yours.
- Gates will stay open while babies are away.
- Gates close automatically.
- Slam shut the gate.
- Manually shut the gates yourself.
- Select Materials & Finishes: From classic to contemporary finishes, you want to ensure that your baby gate looks pretty & praiseworthy. Some good materials – Wood, Fabric, Net Interiors, and Steel.
What To Use As A Baby Gate
Are you wondering how to block stairs without a baby gate? Or searching for some DIY baby gates designs?
There are so many perfectly customized baby gate ideas available that you can use as a baby gate, including a retractable baby gate. I have compiled some fantastic ideas that you can use as a baby gate.
- Pallet Gate: Pallets are excellent as they require minimal construction & helps to keep the cost down. Make sure to check how big the gaps are. If the gaps are bigger than 4 inches, then it wouldn’t give much safety to babies.
- Sliding Gate: This type of gate is a non-permanent solution yet useful for the baby’s safety. However, it’s not advised to use it at the top of the stairs because smart kids might try to climb upon it.
- Fabric baby Gate: This one – fabric baby gate is also a non-permanent yet very easy to DIY at home without much cost. There are already some DIY baby gate fabric tutorials available for easy convenience.
- Plexi-GlassIt’s a practical, uncomplicated design & suits those who are minimalists on the heart. This is already available on the market & requires a little step-by-step tutorial if you are going to try DIY.
- Barn Door: The barn door is incredibly stylish & practically functional. Like a traditional baby gate, it doesn’t take vast space & adds a sweet charm to home décor.
- Half Door: For your little explorer, a half door provides all the necessary safety. Half door Is easy to construct at home. Simply cut half of the door, polish it & attach a latch; it’s done.
- PVC Pipe Gate: PVC Pipe is a perfect example of the DIY baby gate, lightweight & easy to operate. In a nutshell, cut all the pipes to the correct length, add hinges & a latch, assemble & you did it.
- Plywood Gate: This gate is another stylish version of Baby gate alternative yet sleek one. White plywood gates usually get dirty by toddlers dirty hands, so get custom paint on it matching with home décor.
What To Look For In Baby Gates
The baby gate is simply an excellent safety precaution for our kids. But selecting the right one is crucial, whether it’s an alternative of a baby gate or a DIY baby gate. Here’s what to look for –
- Easy Operable The baby gate should smoothly open & shut so that parents can easily walk through the gate while holding a baby in their arms. There are several options for baby gates available, including swinging, sliding & smaller doorways in the center.
- Height of the Gate: Our smart kids might attempt to climb over the gate. That’s why the gate’s height should be three-quarters minimum of our children’s size.
- Adjustability & Size : The gate should not stretch to its limit to fit the opening. Max pulled gates width might not ensure proper security for our ambitious kids.
- Gap of Slats: Per the recommendation of JPMA, the gap between slats must be under 3 inches. Wider gaps might lead children to get stuck or squeezing between them. The slats should be vertical for climbing prevention.
- Safety Certified: American Society or JPMA certified baby gates after thoroughly testing. The certified products by them are deemed safe to use. North American also conducts independent tests equivalent to JPMA standards.
- Sturdy Construction: Sturdy construction & an even finish will make a baby gate long-lasting & able to retain the pressure. Check warranty features while buying, as almost all reputable brands feature a warranty.
- Other Features: After doing the baby gate’s correct measurement, if there are some other specific extra features you want as an add-in, you should explore your options. Some additional features worth mentioning are – different comprehensive builds for archways & lights for safe use at night.